Monday, August 7, 2017

Obstruction in Black and White

I currently umpire Legion or Adult League games in Sacramento and the surrounding area.  Every game provides an abundance of learning and teaching moments pertaining to the rules of baseball. This last weekend indeed was no exception.

In these games the rules being applied are Official Baseball a.k.a. Major League Baseball which some are identical to NCAA baseball rules. One related side note; I have also written and am very close to publishing the 2018 College Edition of Baseball Rules in Black and White.


Last weekend as I was working the bases with a runner on first, there was a pick off throw to first. This caused the runner to get into a rundown between first and second. After a few back and forth throws, the runner changed direction and a defensive player was standing in his new path and they collided.
I instantly and correctly (pointed and said “that’s obstruction”), then unknowingly and mistakenly let the play finish, the runner was then tagged out.  I (then called time) and by rule awarded the runner second base. I felt like the luckiest umpire / author on the planet.

Just days prior I was fine-tooth editing the Chapter on Obstruction for the 2018 College Edition of Baseball Rules in Black and White. After this play took place I could not wait to get home and critique my call.

Other than (not calling) an immediate dead ball (which turned out of little consequence), my call and ruling were spot on. It was a hallelujah moment for several reasons:

1. The immediate execution of the call.
2. The decisive call's (calming impact) on the defensive players, who the call had gone against.
3. Understanding the direct influence Baseball Rules in Black and White had in helping me make the right call quickly and apply the ruling accurately.

It gives me great pride to say the following; Not only am I the author of Baseball Rules in Black and White “A better way to learn and apply the rules of baseball”, I’m also a working umpire who benefits from what this book has to offer as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment