Sunday, December 25, 2016

The Night Before a Baseball Christmas

‘Twas the winter before spring when all through the stadium not a creature was stirring not even an Umpire.
The hats where hung in their lockers with care, in hopes that Spring Baseball would soon be there.
The players were nestled all snug in their beds while visions of homers danced in their heads
fans in their ‘kercheif, and umps with their masks had just settled down with our long winter naps.
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter, I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash, Tore open my the game bag and threw out a ball
The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow gave the lustre on the ball below.
When what to my blurry eyes should appear, but a miniature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer.
With a little old driver, so lively and quick, I knew in a moment it must be St. Ruth.
More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name
Now Gehrig!, now Meusel, now Lazzeri and Dugan, on Collins, on Koenig and Combs To the top of your games. Blasting over every stadium wall.
Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!"

As a baseball that before the wild pitch fly,
When they meet with a mighty swing, mount to the sky,
So up in their victories the coursers they flew,
With the sleigh full of wins, and St. Ruth too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the field
The digging and toeing of each little cleat.
As I drew in my hand, and was turning around,
Down the flag pole St. Ruth came with a bound.

He was dressed for a game, from his head to his feet,
And his clothes all glimmered as he gave a great cheer;
A bundle of memories he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a pro on a opening day whack.

His eyes -- how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And the beardless chin was as white as the snow;

He held tight his teeth,
his love of the game encircled his head like a wreath;
He had a broad face and a little round belly,
That shook, when he laughed like a bowlful of jelly.

He was studly and wise, a right gracious old elf,
And I was in awe when I saw him, it even startled myself;
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And filled all the baseball stockings; then turned with a jerk,
And laying his finger aside of his nose,
And giving a nod, up the flag pole he rose;

He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
HAPPY Baseball CHRISTMAS TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD-NIGHT!
Baseball Rules in Black and White 's version of the Night before Christmas,  wishing everyone the Merriest of Christmases.
 The 1927 New York Yankees


No comments:

Post a Comment