Tuesday, August 23, 2016

This is the way we do it

I have heard the phrase "This is the way we have always done things"  described as the most expensive cost of doing business.  As an umpire I have to ask myself if this term was applied to our occupation, what would be the cost.  How could this type of mentality hurt our profession?  

1.What if there was a new resource that could benefit every umpire's rule knowledge and ability to efficiently apply it to their games? 2.What if all the powers to be in baseball were offered an opportunity to scrutinize this new resource for its merit?   3.Would there be a chorus of what took so long to improve on existing resources or just the opposite? 4. What would coaches, players, and fans say if they knew umpires' rule knowledge and application could be improved?

These are all great hypothetical questions, except for me they are not hypothetical at all, and I am learning the answers to all these questions everyday.  You see I believe I have written a book about specific rules that can benefit everyone associated with baseball. It is a broad statement indeed, but not only did I write the book, but I am also an umpire who understands and applies what is written in this book every time I umpire.  Baseball Rules in Black and White has improved every aspect of my umpiring ability each and every time I step on the field.  


Anyone who is honest and has watched or played baseball, season after season understands the cost of my initial question.  Anyone being hard line against rule education improvement are a detriment to improving the game of baseball.  

We have all seen what happens in the workplace when a new protocol, product or innovation comes along.  First comes the "hell no, we won't do it".  Then there are the "no way this could be better" or "help me" mentality folks or "I know what I am doing so leave me alone". Then there are a few who think, "It's about time, what took to so long", and a million of other thoughts somewhere in between.  

Having just written this book and just beginning marketing it, I am already beginning to experience all of the above.  It is truly an eye opening experience into the psyche of man.  

Initially I am seeing an overwhelming support mostly from the fans, a strong support from many open, like-minded umpires and professionals in the game.  Evolution proves that most everything in life can and does need improving.  Baseball rule education is no exception.

James C. Bettencourt

www.baseballrulesinblackandwhite.com


No comments:

Post a Comment